(Posted by guest blogger, James Taylor)
I have just got back from the 10th Annual Business Rules Forum. This is a show I attend regularly but this was the best ever for me. Not only were the logistics great with a nice expo, good rooms and FunLabs allowing attendees to spend 2 hours really using a vendor's product (much better than the usual walk-by demos), the content was great. For instance:
- More than 10 sessions about analytics, data mining and the convergence of business rules with data analysis techniques.
- 7 or so sessions explicitly bringing business rules and SOA together, for instance in discussing Decision Services.
- Another 7 sessions on how business rules and decision management make for more effective business process management.
- No less than 28 actual case studies showing how real companies from Everbank to Travelers Insurance, BlueCross BlueShield to Delta Dental, Precedent Insurance to Freddie Mac, Walt Disney to Dell.
Not only was this year's show a great opportunity to learn about enterprise decision management, the organizers made an existing announcement. Next year will see the First Annual Enterprise Decision Management Summit™, which will be co-located with the 11th Annual Business Rules Forum™. Not only is this exciting because it shows the growing acceptance of decision management, especially enterprise decision management, as an approach to solving the challenges facing organizations today, it is exciting as I will be chairing it with my co-author on Smart (Enough) Systems, Neil Raden. Look for lots of sessions on analytics, combining analytics with business rules, how decision management fits with SOA and BPM and much more.
The theme for the 2008 Conferences is going to be All Around Agility™ and I hope we will see many of you there.
Here's a quick summary of my posts from the conference
- A framework for selecting business rules platforms
- From Business Rules to Enterprise Decisioning
- Business Process Management with Business Rules and Business Intelligence
- Business Rules, Decision Management and Smarter Systems
- Insurance 2020: Innovating Beyond Old Models
- Turbocharging Business Rules Engines with BI 2.0
- Intelligent Process Automation: The Key to Business Process Automation
- Combining the Power of Analytics and Business Rules to Drive Enterprise Decisioning Solutions
- True Adventures in Business Rules
- Reaping the Benefits of Rules through SOA and Business Rule Management at Travelers
- Vendor Panel
- Agile Compliance
- Top 10 Data Dangers When Discovering Business Rules
- Getting It Right. Rules and Requirements in Software