Fourth Quarter Fiscal 2005 Results
The company reported fourth quarter revenues of $203.3 million in fiscal 2005 versus $190.4 million reported in the prior year period. Net income for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2005 totaled $35.7 million, or $0.53 per diluted share, compared with net income of $14.4 million, or $0.19 per diluted share, reported in the same quarter last year.
Fourth quarter fiscal 2004 results included an after-tax loss of $6.1 million, or $0.08 per diluted share, recorded in connection with the redemption of the company's convertible subordinated notes.
Fiscal 2005 Results
The company reported revenues of $798.7 million in fiscal 2005 versus $706.2 million last year. Net income totaled $134.5 million, or $1.86 per diluted share, compared with net income of $102.8 million, or $1.31 per diluted share, reported last year. Net income in fiscal 2005 was affected by adjustments made in prior quarters that reduced income tax expense by $10.6 million, or $0.14 per diluted share.
The impact of the adoption of EITF Issue No. 04-8, The Effect of Contingently Convertible Instruments on Diluted Earnings Per Share reduced diluted earnings per share by $0.09 in fiscal 2005 and $0.10 in fiscal 2004.
"We are very pleased with our fiscal 2005 results, especially our growth in revenue, our continued operating margin improvement and our earnings per share growth." said Thomas Grudnowski, Fair Isaac's chief executive officer. "Looking ahead, we continue to be encouraged by the market's ever-increasing awareness and appreciation of the unique kinds of value we deliver through our innovative decision management products and consulting services."
Fourth Quarter Fiscal 2005 Revenues Highlights
Revenues for fourth quarter fiscal 2005 across each of the company's four operating segments were as follows:
- Strategy Machine Solutions revenues were $109.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2005, compared to $115.1 million in the prior year quarter, or a decrease of 4.8%, primarily due to a decline in revenues associated with marketing services and insurance solutions. These declines were partially offset by solid growth in consumer scoring products, collections and recovery solutions, mortgage banking solutions and fraud solutions.
- Scoring Solutions revenues increased to $47.8 million in the fourth quarter from $37.5 million in the prior year quarter, or by 27.5%, primarily due to an increase in revenues derived from risk scoring services at the credit reporting agencies, and PreScore® Service.
- Professional Services revenues increased to $33.4 million in the fourth quarter from $26.4 million in the prior year quarter, or by 26.5%, primarily due to organic growth driven by the company's customer management, collections and recovery, and fraud solutions, as well as from the acquisition of Braun Consulting, Inc.
- Analytic Software Tools revenues increased to $12.6 million in the fourth quarter from $11.4 million in the prior year quarter, or by 10.5%, due to revenues generated from the sales of Blaze Advisor and Model Builder products.
Fiscal 2005 Revenues Highlights
Revenues for fiscal 2005 across each of the company's four operating segments were as follows:
- Strategy Machine Solutions revenues were $453.7 million in fiscal 2005, compared to $427.6 million in fiscal 2004, or an increase of 6.1%, primarily due to an increase in revenues associated with collections and recovery, fraud, mortgage banking and consumer solutions. These increases were partially offset by a decline in marketing services and insurance solutions.
- Scoring Solutions revenues increased to $167.3 million in fiscal 2005 from $142.8 million in fiscal 2004, or by 17.2%, due to an increase in revenues derived from risk scoring services at the credit reporting agencies, as well as from PreScore® Service.
- Professional Services revenues increased to $129.6 million in fiscal 2005 from $96.7 million in fiscal 2004, or by 34.0%, driven by growth in services supporting our Collections and Recovery, Blaze, Customer Management, and Mortgage Banking solutions, as well as from the acquisition of Braun Consulting, Inc.
- Analytic Software Tools revenues increased to $48.0 million in fiscal 2005 from $39.0 million in fiscal 2004, or by 23.1%, mainly due to revenues generated from the sales of Blaze Advisor product, as well as growth from Model Builder product.
The company achieved record bookings of $505.0 million for fiscal 2005 versus $441.3 million in fiscal 2004, an increase of 14.4%, exceeding original expectations. The company defines a "new booking" as estimated future contractual revenues, including agreements with perpetual, multi-year and annual terms. Management regards the volume of new bookings achieved, among other factors, as an important indicator of future revenues, but they are not comparable to, nor should they be substituted for, an analysis of the company's revenues.
Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Highlights
Cash and cash equivalents, and marketable security investments were $288.1 million at September 30, 2005, as compared to $364.3 million at September 30, 2004. Significant changes in cash and cash equivalents from September 30, 2004 include cash provided by operations of $214.1 million; $71.9 million received from the exercise of stock options and stock issued; and $22.7 million from a divestiture. Cash used in fiscal 2005 includes $16.4 million related to purchases of property and equipment, $41.3 million (net of cash acquired) related to acquisitions, and $328.5 million to repurchase company stock under the current and previously authorized share repurchase plans. The remaining balance of the existing share repurchase authorization is $171.4 million.
First quarter fiscal 2006
The company expects revenue for first quarter fiscal 2006 of approximately $207.0 million, of which Product (Scoring, Strategy Machines and Analytic Software Tools) revenue will account for approximately $174.0 million and Services revenue will account for approximately $33.0 million. The company also expects earnings per diluted share for the quarter to be approximately $0.50.
The company expects revenue for fiscal year 2006 to be in the range of $860.0 million to $900.0 million, of which Product (Scoring, Strategy Machines and Analytic Software Tools) revenue will account for approximately $715.0 million to $745.0 million and Services revenue will account for approximately $145.0 million to $155.0 million. The company also expects earnings per diluted share for fiscal 2006 to be approximately $2.15.
Guidance for first quarter fiscal 2006 and the full fiscal year reflect the continuation of top-line growth in our core market units and operating margins reported in fourth quarter fiscal 2005. The earnings per share guidance excludes the impact of expensing stock options, which is required by a new accounting standard that the company must adopt in fiscal 2006.
"In fiscal 2006, we will mark our 50th year of bringing standard-setting decision management innovations to the marketplace," said Grudnowski. "We believe the year holds great promise for growth in our core products, and we look forward to further expanding the impact of our solutions and technology across industries around the world."
Company to Host Conference Call
The company will host a conference call today at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time (4:00 p.m. Central Time/2:00 p.m. Pacific Time) to discuss its fourth quarter and fiscal 2005 results, and outlook for fiscal 2006. The call can be accessed live on the Investor Relations section of the company's Web site at www.fairisaac.com, and a replay will be available approximately two hours after the completion of the call through November 30, 2005.
About Fair Isaac
Fair Isaac Corporation (NYSE:FIC) is the preeminent provider of creative analytics that unlock value for people, businesses and industries. The company's predictive modeling, decision analysis, intelligence management, decision management systems and consulting services power billions of mission-critical customer decisions a year. Founded in 1956, Fair Isaac helps thousands of companies in over 60 countries acquire customers more efficiently, increase customer value, reduce fraud and credit losses, lower operating expenses and enter new markets more profitably. Most leading banks and credit card issuers rely on Fair Isaac solutions, as do insurers, retailers, telecommunications providers, healthcare organizations and government agencies. Through the www.myFICO.com Web site, consumers use the company's FICO® scores, the standard measure of credit risk, to manage their financial health.
Statement Concerning Forward-Looking Information
Except for historical information contained herein, the statements contained in this news release that relate to Fair Isaac or its business are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the "safe harbor" provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results to differ materially, including the company's ability to recruit and retain key technical and managerial personnel, the maintenance of its existing relationships and ability to create new relationships with customers and key alliance partners, its ability to continue to develop new and enhanced products and services, competition, regulatory changes applicable to the use of consumer credit and other data, the possibility that the anticipated benefits of acquisitions, including expected synergies, will not be realized and other risks described from time to time in Fair Isaac's SEC reports, including its Annual Report on Form 10 K for the year ended September 30, 2004 and Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the period ended June 30, 2005. If any of these risks or uncertainties materialize, Fair Isaac's results could differ materially from its expectations. Fair Isaac disclaims any intent or obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
+44 (0) 209-940-8719
+1 786 482 7231
+55 11 97673-6583
Take the next step
Connect with FICO for answers to all your product and solution questions. We look forward to hearing from you.